Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Baked French Toast

 Baked French Toast and Bonus Recipe

Here we are just getting started in February and I've already veered off the written path.  We forgot to lay the chicken out, Sunday night, for dinner on Monday night.  Why you ask, because I was so busy preparing breakfast.  You heard right, I was preparing breakfast Sunday night to have on Monday morning.

I made us a simple snack to go along with some baked ziti we had in the freezer using some crostini's that we received on Friday.  Since I didn't use the entire bag, and didn't want them to go bad, I whipped up a quick French toast using them and let it sit overnight in the fridge until I was ready to bake it Monday morning.

This turned out so good, and we had plenty of leftovers for breakfast for a few more days.  It really is quite simple, just whisk your eggs, milk and seasonings in a bowl, add your bread pieces, making sure they are fully covered and submerged, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate over night. Upon waking the next morning, pop it in the oven and viola, breakfast!

I should have used a 9x13 pan, but didn't think I had enough for one and used a smaller, round, dish instead, which increased my bake time.

Here is the recipe that I made up on the fly.

Baked French Toast

8 large eggs (may use 6, I like mine eggy)
1/2 cup of almond milk (you can use regular milk, i'm lactose intolerant)
1 Tbs Pumpkin Spice
1/2 tsp Cardamon (optional)
1/2 tsp Coriander (optional)
1/2 package of Crostini's (about 30 pieces)

Whisk ingredients together before adding in the crostini's. Make sure that once you add in the crostini's that they are fully submerged in the egg mixture so that they can absorb it overnight.  I covered my bowl with a piece of aluminum foil (couldn't find the saran wrap, lol) and let it soak overnight.

Upon waking, preheat the oven to 350, pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 and bake covered for 35 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 10 minutes checking for doneness.  If the center is not set, bake an addition 10 minutes, checking after 5.  Serve drizzled in syrup or sprinkled with powdered sugar.



***Bonus***

The snack I made Sunday night to accompany our baked ziti was a crostini topped with butter, mozzarella cheese. a sprinkle of garlic/pepper powder and half pieces of beef pepperoni.  Broil on hi until cheese is melted and the pepperoni is starting to crisp, I believe it was 5 minutes, but I kept a close watch on them and not the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment