Monday, January 27, 2020

Green Bean Okazu

Green Bean Okazu

A friend of mine told me about this dish that she likes called Green Bean Okazu.  it sounded interesting but I was skeptical because of the sugar in it. I just couldn't fathom sugar with green beans and beef tasting good.  Anyways, about a month later I decided to try it and put it on my menu.  Boy was I surprised when it tasted pretty good (with the help of a little extra soy sauce).  Even my mom liked it.




Green Bean Okazu

It's great served over rice, or alone.
Makes 4 servings.

1 pound ground beef

2 cans of green beans (I used French Style)
1 cup water or beef broth (I used broth)
1/4 cup white sugar (or 1/4 cup Splenda)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I preferred 1/2 cup)
5 chopped green onions, optional
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered, optional
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil, optional

Directions

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until evenly brown; drain excess fat.

Stir in green beans and about 1 cup water or broth. Cover, and cook until beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

Season with sugar and soy sauce, add green onions, tomatoes and sesame oil, if using and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.


As you can tell, I added rice with mine to make it stretch a little further.  I used 1 Cup of Instant Rice and used 2 cups of broth instead of one, adding them together.  I did not have the optional ingredients, so they were not used.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment