Thursday, January 30, 2020

Cacciatore Chicken

Cacciatore Chicken

While my husband is still out of town with his sick son, mom and I are left on the home front to wait on his return.  My stepson has started his chemo treatments and is feeling the effects of it.  If you find it within yourself, please say a prayer for him.

Tonight, as I continue to clean out our pantry, I made Chicken Cacciatore for dinner.  Mom wasn't sure about it but said it smelled good while it was slow cooking all day in the crockpot.  It was served with spaghetti noodles and Parmesan cheese. 


Everything in the recipe was already on hand, there was absolutely nothing that I needed to buy to make this.  I did finish off the chicken we had in the freezer, less one piece. We are nearing the end of this month and I am sad to say that I have not stuck to the menu as planned, but I have done very little shopping for groceries.  I did buy some milk, eggs, coffee creamer, yogurt, things like this that perish quickly.  I also bought another bag of frozen chicken breast to make sure that I had enough for all of the recipes and I still have not opened it.  I am beginning to edit my list of items on hand to reflect what has been used this past month and I will start planning next month's menu of dinners.  I don't plan for breakfast and lunches as mom and I are home most days and usually eat eggs and either leftovers or sandwiches.  So far I have a short list of items to purchase for next month to add to dishes that I want to make and only one dish is a repeat from one I made this month and that's because mom specifically asked for it.


Chicken Cacciatore

4-6 pieces of chicken
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 tsp Oregano
1/4 cup fresh basil (or 1/8 cup dried basil)

On the plate:
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese
Pasta of your choice

I like to mix everything in the crockpot before placing in the chicken, then work the chicken pieces into the tomato mixture making sure to cover each piece with the sauce.  Cook it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. 

Serves 4. 

I did not shred the chicken until it was on my plate, however, if you are trying to stretch this out a bit further, shred the chicken before serving and mix everything one last time before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment