Thursday, January 23, 2020

Life Changes and Goulash

Life Changes and Goulash

As usual life gets in the way and messes up the best laid plans.  I usually don't make plans because they never work out as expected.  On Thursday, January 16, I had a few doctors appointments to attend to myself and my husband arranged to take his day off to travel to them with me.  While in the middle of my first appointment he started receiving messages from his brother letting him know that his oldest son (12) was very ill and had already been in the hospital for a week (if not a few days longer). this upset my husband terribly, as any could imagine, and any plans that we had after my second appointment went out the window.

Anyways, the weekend flew by in a daze of him working and planning and preparing for an emergency flight over seas to be with his son.  He left out on Monday morning en-route to the airport via bus and arrived in his homeland Tuesday evening, letting me know that he was safely there on Wednesday after he was able to acquire a phone card.  His son is being tested for Leukemia and was being moved to another area to prepare for surgery on Thursday.  With the language barrier, translating Arabic to English, medical terms, is hard on my husband as he wants to focus on being there for his son.  So for a while it will just be my mom and I while he remains overseas with his son to see what the next step in his treatment will be.  Please, if you are a praying person, pray for them during this time of need.

On to the Goulash.  On Saturday, I prepared a delicious goulash since we had not stuck to our menu for the week and had very little leftovers from the Cilantro Lime Chicken, which hubby ate for lunch  before work on Sunday.  This was a very simple recipe.  I used 2 cans of mixed vegetables-drained, 2 cans of tomato soup, a chopped onion, a mix of seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, water and ground beef.

It was that simple! I served it over some mashed potatoes and called it a night.  Everyone loved it, even my husband, who finished it off on Monday morning for breakfast.




Recipe

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2 cans of vegetables,drained
  • 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1 instant mashed potatoes
Cook beef in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add mixed vegetables, soup, water, onion, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Prepare the instant potatoes per package instructions and serve.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment